The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA) has recently announced the names of the top 200 qualifiers for the Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP). The scholarship program offers financial assistance to qualified dependents of active OWWA members. The national competitive examination was conducted last October 20, 2019, administered by the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).
Of the top 200 new EDSP scholars, eleven (11) OFW dependents is from Davao Region. These incoming freshmen come from the different schools in the region who are now entitled to a scholarship leading to a four to five-year baccalaureate course in any college or university in the country. These scholars can avail of maximum education assistance of Php60, 000.00 per school year. The region’s list of new scholars are as follows:
1. Klinn Jeff Lepardo – Matina Aplaya, Davao City
2. Raquelyne Oclarit – Tugbok, Davao City
3. Vincent Arcite – Ilang, Davao City
4. Czarina Julia – Mintal, Davao City
5. Jozette Ellace Ypil – Maa, Davao City
6. Erika Crisjean Ilarde – Bajada, Davao City
7. Jianne Bornea – Matina, Davao City
8. Allan Louis Rañin – Maa, Davao City
9. Gwen Ambrona – Babak District, IGACOS, Davao del Norte
10. Fernor Anthony Adante – Gredu, Panabo City, Davao del Norte
11. Ralph Ashley Alcular – Colorado, Digos City, Davao del Sur
The said scholars are now preparing for their documentary requirements necessary for the entrance of their chosen college or universities. To retain the status as scholars, they must maintain a general weighted average of 85% and above. At the same time, they have to comply the policies provided in the scholarship agreement.
OWWA XI has produced many graduates under the Education for Development Scholarship Program who are now successful in their respective fields. For SY 2018-2019, the Davao region has obtained a total of 24 graduates. Through the scholarship grant provided by OWWA, children of OFWs may now have the opportunity to pursue their dreams. (OWWA XI)